Sunday, February 5, 2017

Assessment

Summary 

This week we completed module 4: Design (Assessment). We watched two videos. One of the videos was about using appropriate forms of assessment and a little on how to implement them. In this video, I learned that the action verbs in the objectives should match the type of assessment given. For example, if you say compose typically the students will write some type of paper. We also read chapter 9: Assessment for Distance Education. This covered various types of assessment tools and methods as well as how to effectively use them.

Item of Interest

My course is involved with thrid-grade mathematics focusing on multiplication and division. Since I am using the flipped classroom approach, my students will watch lectures and play warm-up games prior to coming to class. I would like to have a review self-test for the students to take each week. They will be able to take it Friday-Sunday. The self-test will consist of multiple choice questions. They will be allowed to take it as many times as they want and only their highest score will be recorded. These self-tests will be a good way for the students to notice their strengths and weaknesses. I will also give a pre-test before each unit and a post-test at the end of each unit. This will be a good way for me to track students improvements.

Problem or Concern

I am having a hard time coming up with more ways to assess my third graders. I would like to have a few types of assessment that are fun and engaging. If any of you have any suggestions on some assessments, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Malory,
    Might I suggest that at the start of each new concept do a poll, either at the beginning of class or prior like the video lecture. There is a polling app. You could also use a survey. You might could attach extra credit to the completion of the survey before school starts on a due date.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete